We're revealing our 2014 Holiday Reading Roundup
for family, friends, and colleagues, because there's no better gift than a book that inspires, teaches, and offers great adventure! Find out what's on Brown Books'
bestseller list this season.
BUILDING A TIMELESS HOUSE IN AN INSTANT AGE
Penned by award-winning builder Brent Hull, founder and president of Hull Historical, the beautiful book challenges readers to reevaluate the way we think about building homes today and examines the cultural impact of a fast-paced world that's obsessed with what's next.
BLACK CAT 2-1: THE TRUE STORY OF A VIETNAM HELICOPTER PILOT AND HIS CREW
- Gift it ... to your favorite Downton Abbey fanatic, and anyone who longs for the era when quality homebuilding and exquisite attention to detail was the norm.
- Get it ... @ TheTimelessHouse.com (hardcover, $26.95; e-book, $9.99).
Vietnam War veteran Bob Ford, a Huey helicopter Aircraft commander who flew over one thousand missions from July 1967 to July 1968, pays tribute to the valiant men he served with and to those who risked their lives for the troops on the ground in his praiseworthy memoir.
FOR THE LOVE OF WILD PLACES: FINDING ADVENTURE AND BEAUTY IN NATURE
- Gift it ... to the everyday heroes in your life, and those who appreciate a gripping page-turner that reads like a thriller.
- Get it ... before the book launches on January 15, 2015, by pre-ordering @ BlackCat2-1.com (hardcover, $24.95).
With glorious photographs and vividly descriptive text, photographer and writer Greg Dimijian takes readers on a magical journey of exploration through some of the most fascinating and amazingly diverse habitats of our planet.
THE LADY SPEAKS: UNCOVERING THE SECRETS OF THE MONA LISA
- Gift it ... to nature enthusiasts, photography buffs, and anyone who puts the "great" in great outdoors.
- Get it ... @ ForTheLoveOfWildPlaces.com (hardcover, $29.92; e-book, $9.99).
Art historian and educator W.N. Varvel offers an eye-opening look inside da Vinci's most famous work, adeptly decoding a tapestry of hidden messages within the painting. Revealing the artist's meticulously calculated fabric of clues, symbols, and images, the author establishes not only his belief but also Michelangelo's belief in Theological Gender Equality.
BULLS, BEARS, & BASKETBALL: FINANCIAL PLANNING FOR COLLEGE HOOPS FANS
- Gift it ... to those who revel in great mysteries, and history aficionados who'll be impressed the impeccable research behind the well-crafted read.
- Get it ... @ TheLadySpeaks.com (hardcover, $24.95; e-book, $9.99).
Today's financial game requires a fast break - and a great coach. Combining economic expertise with courtside wisdom, author Chuck Thoele delivers actionable intelligence for aspiring and established investors, and the financial leader's first book has garnered praise from sports legends like the Dallas Mavericks' Mark Cuban and UCLA's Steve Alford.
THE RELUCTANT FIRST LADY
- Gift it ... to students, young professionals, and those seeking great advice for improving their long-term financial game plan.
- Get it ... @ BullsBearsAndBasketball.com (hardcover, $24.95; paperback, $18.95; e-book, $9.99).
Author Venita Ellick offers a contemporary look inside the life of a presidential candidate's wife, and she shares the perspective of a brave protagonist who refuses to trade her position as director of a prestigious art museum for the traditional role of First Lady, should her husband win the election.
HEADSTRONG: SURVIVING A TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY WITHOUT LOSING MY MIND
- Gift it ... to would-be politicos and everyone in need of an entertaining winter read.
- Get it ... @ VenitaEllick.com (hardcover, $24.99; e-book, $2.99).
Be inspired by brain injury survivor Donna Valentino, as she reflects on her long journey back to health. Deeply insightful, the spiritually uplifting read reveals how she found the strength to persevere, overcome, and thrive.
CHILD OF THE SOUTH DAKOTA FRONTIER
- Gift it ... to real-life champions, and friends and family members who could use a little extra encouragement this season.
- Get it ... @ DonnaValentino.com (hardcover, $19.95).
Based on the writing of Lenna Kolash, the book invites readers along on her personal journey as the daughter of homesteaders in 1915. Well-told stories coupled with visual details will find readers wanting more long after the last page has been read.
SHAHLA'S KITCHEN, COOKING WITH FIRE AND ICE: RECIPES FOR BALANCED ENERGY AND HEALTHY LIVING
- Gift it ... to modern-day pioneers, and those who never miss a rerun of Little House on the Prairie.
- Get it ... @ SouthDakotaFrontier.com (paperback, $15.95).
New author Shahla Niazi offers up nourishing recipes such as Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Soup in her bold, contemporary cookbook, and she inspires healthy habits with an emphasis on fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, and healthy oils that yield heart-smart cuisine.
- Gift it ... to the go-to foodies in your family, and friends craving creative, culinary adventures.
- Get it ... @ ShahlasKitchen.com (hardcover, $22.95).
Searching for more recommended reads or thinking about sharing your
story? Learn more about our titles and discover our unique platform for publishing, distribution, marketing, and public relations @ BrownBooks.com
, and connect with us on Facebook